Inherited By: Viewport, AudioStreamPlayer, EditorFileSystem, CanvasLayer, Spatial, AnimationPlayer, EditorPlugin, ResourcePreloader, AnimationTreePlayer, WorldEnvironment, InstancePlaceholder, HTTPRequest, EditorInterface, EditorResourcePreview, CanvasItem, Timer, Tween
Base class for all scene objects.
- renamed ( )
Emitted when the node is renamed.
- tree_entered ( )
Emitted when the node enters the tree.
- tree_exited ( )
Emitted after the node exits the tree and is no longer active.
- tree_exiting ( )
Emitted when the node is still active but about to exit the tree. This is the right place for de-initialization.
- String filename - When a scene is instanced from a file, its topmost node contains the filename from which it was loaded.
- String name - The name of the node. This name is unique among the siblings (other child nodes from the same parent).
When set to an existing name, the node will be automatically renamed
- Node owner - The node owner. A node can have any other node as owner (as long as it is a valid parent, grandparent, etc. ascending in the tree). When saving a node (using SceneSaver) all the nodes it owns will be saved with it. This allows for the creation of complex SceneTrees, with instancing and subinstancing.
- PauseMode pause_mode
- NOTIFICATION_ENTER_TREE = 10 — Notification received when the node enters a SceneTree.
- NOTIFICATION_EXIT_TREE = 11 — Notification received when the node is about to exit a SceneTree.
- NOTIFICATION_MOVED_IN_PARENT = 12 — Notification received when the node is moved in the parent.
- NOTIFICATION_READY = 13 — Notification received when the node is ready. See _ready.
- NOTIFICATION_PAUSED = 14 — Notification received when the node is paused.
- NOTIFICATION_UNPAUSED = 15 — Notification received when the node is unpaused.
- NOTIFICATION_PHYSICS_PROCESS = 16 — Notification received every frame when the physics process flag is set (see set_physics_process).
- NOTIFICATION_PROCESS = 17 — Notification received every frame when the process flag is set (see set_process).
- NOTIFICATION_PARENTED = 18 — Notification received when a node is set as a child of another node. Note that this doesn’t mean that a node entered the Scene Tree.
- NOTIFICATION_UNPARENTED = 19 — Notification received when a node is unparented (parent removed it from the list of children).
- NOTIFICATION_INSTANCED = 20 — Notification received when the node is instanced.
- NOTIFICATION_DRAG_BEGIN = 21 — Notification received when a drag begins.
- NOTIFICATION_DRAG_END = 22 — Notification received when a drag ends.
- NOTIFICATION_PATH_CHANGED = 23 — Notification received when the node’s NodePath changed.
- NOTIFICATION_TRANSLATION_CHANGED = 24
- NOTIFICATION_INTERNAL_PROCESS = 25
- NOTIFICATION_INTERNAL_PHYSICS_PROCESS = 26
- PAUSE_MODE_INHERIT = 0 — Inherits pause mode from parent. For root node, it is equivalent to PAUSE_MODE_STOP.
- PAUSE_MODE_STOP = 1 — Stop processing when SceneTree is paused.
- PAUSE_MODE_PROCESS = 2 — Continue to process regardless of SceneTree pause state.
- RPC_MODE_DISABLED = 0
- RPC_MODE_REMOTE = 1 — Call a method remotely.
- RPC_MODE_SYNC = 2 — Call a method both remotely and locally.
- RPC_MODE_MASTER = 3 — Call a method if the Node is Master.
- RPC_MODE_SLAVE = 4 — Call a method if the Node is Slave.
- DUPLICATE_SIGNALS = 1 — Duplicate the node’s signals.
- DUPLICATE_GROUPS = 2 — Duplicate the node’s groups.
- DUPLICATE_SCRIPTS = 4 — Duplicate the node’s scripts.
- DUPLICATE_USE_INSTANCING = 8 — Duplicate using instancing.
Nodes are Godot’s building blocks. They can be assigned as the child of another node, resulting in a tree arrangement. A given node can contain any number of nodes as children with the requirement that all siblings (direct children of a node) should have unique names.
A tree of nodes is called a scene. Scenes can be saved to the disk and then instanced into other scenes. This allows for very high flexibility in the architecture and data model of Godot projects. Nodes can also optionally be added to groups. This makes it possible to access a number of nodes from code (an “enemies” group, for example) to perform grouped actions.
Scene tree: The SceneTree contains the active tree of nodes. When a node is added to the scene tree, it receives the NOTIFICATION_ENTER_TREE notification and its _enter_tree callback is triggered. Child nodes are always added after their parent node, i.e. the _enter_tree callback of a parent node will be triggered before its child’s.
Once all nodes have been added in the scene tree, they receive the NOTIFICATION_READY notification and their respective _ready callbacks are triggered. For groups of nodes, the _ready callback is called in reverse order, starting with the children and moving up to the parent nodes.
This means that when adding a node to the scene tree, the following order will be used for the callbacks: _enter_tree of the parent, _enter_tree of the children, _ready of the children and finally _ready of the parent (recursively for the entire scene tree).
Processing: Nodes can override the “process” state, so that they receive a callback on each frame requesting them to process (do something). Normal processing (callback _process, toggled with set_process) happens as fast as possible and is dependent on the frame rate, so the processing time delta is passed as an argument. Physics processing (callback _physics_process, toggled with set_physics_process) happens a fixed number of times per second (60 by default) and is useful for code related to the physics engine.
Nodes can also process input events. When present, the _input function will be called for each input that the program receives. In many cases, this can be overkill (unless used for simple projects), and the _unhandled_input function might be preferred; it is called when the input event was not handled by anyone else (typically, GUI Control nodes), ensuring that the node only receives the events that were meant for it.
To keep track of the scene hierarchy (especially when instancing scenes into other scenes), an “owner” can be set for the node with set_owner. This keeps track of who instanced what. This is mostly useful when writing editors and tools, though.
Finally, when a node is freed with free or queue_free, it will also free all its children.
Networking with nodes: After connecting to a server (or making one, see NetworkedMultiplayerENet) it is possible to use the built-in RPC (remote procedure call) system to communicate over the network. By calling rpc with a method name, it will be called locally and in all connected peers (peers = clients and the server that accepts connections), with behaviour varying depending on the network mode (set_network_mode) of the receiving peer. To identify which node receives the RPC call Godot will use its NodePath (make sure node names are the same on all peers).
Member Function Description¶
- void _enter_tree ( ) virtual
Called when the node enters the SceneTree (e.g. upon instancing, scene changing, or after calling add_child in a script). If the node has children, its _enter_tree callback will be called first, and then that of the children.
Corresponds to the NOTIFICATION_ENTER_TREE notification in Object._notification.
- void _exit_tree ( ) virtual
Called when the node is about to leave the SceneTree (e.g. upon freeing, scene changing, or after calling remove_child in a script). If the node has children, its _exit_tree callback will be called last, after all its children have left the tree.
- void _input ( InputEvent event ) virtual
Called when there is an input event. The input event propagates through the node tree until a node consumes it.
It is only called if input processing is enabled, which is done automatically if this method is overridden, and can be toggled with set_process_input.
- void _physics_process ( float delta ) virtual
Called during the physics processing step of the main loop. Physics processing means that the frame rate is synced to the physics, i.e. the
delta variable should be constant.
It is only called if physics processing is enabled, which is done automatically if this method is overridden, and can be toggled with set_physics_process.
Corresponds to the NOTIFICATION_PHYSICS_PROCESS notification in Object._notification.
- void _process ( float delta ) virtual
Called during the processing step of the main loop. Processing happens at every frame and as fast as possible, so the
delta time since the previous frame is not constant.
It is only called if processing is enabled, which is done automatically if this method is overridden, and can be toggled with set_process.
Corresponds to the NOTIFICATION_PROCESS notification in Object._notification.
- void _ready ( ) virtual
Called when the node is “ready”, i.e. when both the node and its children have entered the scene tree. If the node has children, their _ready callbacks get triggered first, and the parent node will receive the ready notification afterwards.
Corresponds to the NOTIFICATION_READY notification in Object._notification.
- void _unhandled_input ( InputEvent event ) virtual
Propagated to all nodes when the previous InputEvent is not consumed by any nodes.
It is only called if unhandled input processing is enabled, which is done automatically if this method is overridden, and can be toggled with set_process_unhandled_input.
- void _unhandled_key_input ( InputEventKey event ) virtual
Adds a child node. Nodes can have any number of children, but every child must have a unique name. Child nodes are automatically deleted when the parent node is deleted, so an entire scene can be removed by deleting its topmost node.
true creates child nodes with human-readable names, based on the name of the node being instanced instead of its type.
Adds a child node. The child is placed below the given node in the list of children.
true creates child nodes with human-readable names, based on the name of the node being instanced instead of its type.
Adds the node to a group. Groups are helpers to name and organize a subset of nodes, for example “enemies” or “collectables”. A node can be in any number of groups. Nodes can be assigned a group at any time, but will not be added until they are inside the scene tree (see is_inside_tree).
- bool can_process ( ) const
true if the node can process while the scene tree is paused (see set_pause_mode). Always returns
true if the scene tree is not paused, and
false if the node is not in the tree. FIXME: Why FAIL_COND?
Duplicates the node, returning a new node.
You can fine-tune the behavior using the
flags. See DUPLICATE_* constants.
Finds a descendant of this node whose name matches
mask as in String.match (i.e. case sensitive, but ‘*’ matches zero or more characters and ‘?’ matches any single character except ‘.’). Note that it does not match against the full path, just against individual node names.
Returns a child node by its index (see get_child_count). This method is often used for iterating all children of a node.
- int get_child_count ( ) const
Returns the number of child nodes.
- Array get_children ( ) const
Returns an array of references to node’s children.
- Array get_groups ( ) const
Returns an array listing the groups that the node is a member of.
- int get_index ( ) const
Returns the node’s index, i.e. its position among the siblings of its parent.
- int get_network_master ( ) const
Returns the peer ID of the network master for this node.
Fetches a node. The NodePath can be either a relative path (from the current node) or an absolute path (in the scene tree) to a node. If the path does not exist, a
null instance is returned and attempts to access it will result in an “Attempt to call <method> on a null instance.” error.
Note: fetching absolute paths only works when the node is inside the scene tree (see is_inside_tree).
Example: Assume your current node is Character and the following tree:
/root /root/Character /root/Character/Sword /root/Character/Backpack/Dagger /root/MyGame /root/Swamp/Alligator /root/Swamp/Mosquito /root/Swamp/Goblin
Possible paths are:
get_node("Sword") get_node("Backpack/Dagger") get_node("../Swamp/Alligator") get_node("/root/MyGame")
- Node get_parent ( ) const
Returns the parent node of the current node, or an empty
Node if the node lacks a parent.
- NodePath get_path ( ) const
Returns the absolute path of the current node. This only works if the current node is inside the scene tree (see is_inside_tree).
Returns the relative path from the current node to the specified node in “node” argument. Both nodes must be in the same scene, or the function will fail.
- float get_physics_process_delta_time ( ) const
- int get_position_in_parent ( ) const
Returns the node’s order in the scene tree branch. For example, if called on the first child node the position is
- float get_process_delta_time ( ) const
Returns the time elapsed (in seconds) since the last process callback. This value may vary from frame to frame.
- bool get_scene_instance_load_placeholder ( ) const
- SceneTree get_tree ( ) const
Returns the SceneTree that contains this node.
- Viewport get_viewport ( ) const
Returns the node’s Viewport.
true if the node that the NodePath points to exists.
true if the given node is a direct or indirect child of the current node.
- bool is_displayed_folded ( ) const
true if the node is folded (collapsed) in the Scene dock.
true if the given node occurs later in the scene hierarchy than the current node.
true if this node is in the specified group.
- bool is_inside_tree ( ) const
true if this node is currently inside a SceneTree.
- bool is_network_master ( ) const
- bool is_physics_processing ( ) const
true if physics processing is enabled (see set_physics_process).
- bool is_physics_processing_internal ( ) const
- bool is_processing ( ) const
true if processing is enabled (see set_process).
- bool is_processing_input ( ) const
true if the node is processing input (see set_process_input).
- bool is_processing_internal ( ) const
- bool is_processing_unhandled_input ( ) const
true if the node is processing unhandled input (see set_process_unhandled_input).
- bool is_processing_unhandled_key_input ( ) const
true if the node is processing unhandled key input (see set_process_unhandled_key_input).
Moves a child node to a different position (order) amongst the other children. Since calls, signals, etc are performed by tree order, changing the order of children nodes may be useful.
- void print_stray_nodes ( )
- void print_tree ( )
Prints the scene to stdout. Used mainly for debugging purposes.
Calls the given method (if present) with the arguments given in
args on this node and recursively on all its children. If the parent_first argument is
true then the method will be called on the current node first, then on all children. If it is
false then the children will be called first.
- void propagate_notification ( int what )
Notifies the current node and all its children recursively by calling notification() on all of them.
- void queue_free ( )
Queues a node for deletion at the end of the current frame. When deleted, all of its child nodes will be deleted as well. This method ensures it’s safe to delete the node, contrary to Object.free. Use Object.is_queued_for_deletion to check whether a node will be deleted at the end of the frame.
- void raise ( )
Moves this node to the top of the array of nodes of the parent node. This is often useful in GUIs (Control nodes), because their order of drawing depends on their order in the tree.
- void remove_and_skip ( )
Removes a node and sets all its children as children of the parent node (if it exists). All event subscriptions that pass by the removed node will be unsubscribed.
- void remove_child ( Node node )
Removes a child node. The node is NOT deleted and must be deleted manually.
- void remove_from_group ( String group )
Removes a node from a group.
Replaces a node in a scene by the given one. Subscriptions that pass through this node will be lost.
- void request_ready ( )
_ready be called again.
Sends a remote procedure call request to all peers on the network (and locally), optionally sending additional data as arguments. Call request will be received by nodes with the same NodePath.
Changes the method’s RPC mode (one of RPC_MODE_* constants).
Sends a rpc to a specific peer identified by peer_id.
Sends a rpc using an unreliable protocol.
Sends a rpc to a specific peer identified by peer_id using an unreliable protocol.
Remotely changes property’s value on other peers (and locally).
Changes the property’s RPC mode (one of RPC_MODE_* constants).
Remotely changes property’s value on a specific peer identified by peer_id.
Remotely changes property’s value on other peers (and locally) using an unreliable protocol.
Remotely changes property’s value on a specific peer identified by peer_id using an unreliable protocol.
- void set_display_folded ( bool fold )
Sets the folded state of the node in the Scene dock.
Sets the node network master to the peer with the given peer ID. The network master is the peer that has authority over it on the network. Inherited from the parent node by default, which ultimately defaults to peer ID 1 (the server).
- void set_physics_process ( bool enable )
Enables or disables physics (i.e. fixed framerate) processing. When a node is being processed, it will receive a NOTIFICATION_PHYSICS_PROCESS at a fixed (usually 60 fps, see OS to change) interval (and the _physics_process callback will be called if exists). Enabled automatically if _physics_process is overridden. Any calls to this before _ready will be ignored.
- void set_physics_process_internal ( bool enable )
- void set_process ( bool enable )
Enables or disables processing. When a node is being processed, it will receive a NOTIFICATION_PROCESS on every drawn frame (and the _process callback will be called if exists). Enabled automatically if _process is overridden. Any calls to this before _ready will be ignored.
- void set_process_input ( bool enable )
- void set_process_internal ( bool enable )
- void set_process_unhandled_input ( bool enable )
Enables unhandled input processing. This is not required for GUI controls! It enables the node to receive all input that was not previously handled (usually by a Control). Enabled automatically if _unhandled_input is overridden. Any calls to this before _ready will be ignored.
- void set_process_unhandled_key_input ( bool enable )
- void set_scene_instance_load_placeholder ( bool load_placeholder )