Base class for all non built-in types.
- script_changed ( )
Emitted whenever the script of the Object is changed.
- CONNECT_DEFERRED = 1 --- Connect a signal in deferred mode. This way, signal emissions are stored in a queue, then set on idle time.
- CONNECT_PERSIST = 2 --- Persisting connections are saved when the object is serialized to file.
- CONNECT_ONESHOT = 4 --- One shot connections disconnect themselves after emission.
- CONNECT_REFERENCE_COUNTED = 8
- NOTIFICATION_POSTINITIALIZE = 0 --- Called right when the object is initialized. Not available in script.
- NOTIFICATION_PREDELETE = 1 --- Called before the object is about to be deleted.
Base class for all non built-in types. Everything which is not a built-in type starts the inheritance chain from this class.
Objects can be constructed from scripting languages, using
Object.new() in GDScript,
new Object in C#, or the "Construct Object" node in VisualScript.
Objects do not manage memory, if inheriting from one the object will most likely have to be deleted manually (call the free function from the script or delete from C++).
Some derivatives add memory management, such as Reference (which keeps a reference count and deletes itself automatically when no longer referenced) and Node, which deletes the children tree when deleted.
Objects export properties, which are mainly useful for storage and editing, but not really so much in programming. Properties are exported in _get_property_list and handled in _get and _set. However, scripting languages and C++ have simpler means to export them.
Objects also receive notifications (_notification). Notifications are a simple way to notify the object about simple events, so they can all be handled together.
Returns the given property. Returns
null if the
property does not exist.
- Array _get_property_list ( ) virtual
Returns the object's property list as an Array of dictionaries. Dictionaries must contain: name:String, type:int (see TYPE_* enum in @GlobalScope) and optionally: hint:int (see PROPERTY_HINT_* in @GlobalScope), hint_string:String, usage:int (see PROPERTY_USAGE_* in @GlobalScope).
- void _init ( ) virtual
The virtual method called upon initialization.
- void _notification ( int what ) virtual
Notify the object internally using an ID.
Sets a property. Returns
true if the
method on the object and returns a result. Pass parameters as a comma separated list.
method on the object during idle time and returns a result. Pass parameters as a comma separated list.
method on the object and returns a result. Pass parameters as an Array.
- bool can_translate_messages ( ) const
true if the object can translate strings.
signal to a
method on a
target object. Pass optional
binds to the call. Use
flags to set deferred or one shot connections. See
CONNECT_* constants. A
signal can only be connected once to a
method. It will throw an error if already connected. To avoid this, first use is_connected to check for existing connections.
signal from a
method on the given
Emits the given
- void free ( )
Deletes the object from memory.
Returns a Variant for a
- String get_class ( ) const
Returns the object's class as a String.
- Array get_incoming_connections ( ) const
Returns an Array of dictionaries with information about signals that are connected to the object.
Inside each Dictionary there are 3 fields:
- "source" is a reference to signal emitter.
- "signal_name" is name of connected signal.
- "method_name" is a name of method to which signal is connected.
Get indexed object property by String.
Property indices get accessed with colon separation, for example:
- int get_instance_id ( ) const
Returns the object's unique instance ID.
Returns the object's metadata for the given
- PoolStringArray get_meta_list ( ) const
Returns the object's metadata as a PoolStringArray.
- Array get_method_list ( ) const
Returns the object's methods and their signatures as an Array.
- Array get_property_list ( ) const
Returns the list of properties as an Array of dictionaries. Dictionaries contain: name:String, type:int (see TYPE_* enum in @GlobalScope) and optionally: hint:int (see PROPERTY_HINT_* in @GlobalScope), hint_string:String, usage:int (see PROPERTY_USAGE_* in @GlobalScope).
- Reference get_script ( ) const
Returns the object's Script or
null if one doesn't exist.
Returns an Array of connections for the given
- Array get_signal_list ( ) const
Returns the list of signals as an Array of dictionaries.
true if a metadata is found with the given
true if the object contains the given
true if the given user-defined
- bool is_blocking_signals ( ) const
true if signal emission blocking is enabled.
true if the object inherits from the given
true if a connection exists for a given
- bool is_queued_for_deletion ( ) const
true if the
queue_free method was called for the object.
Notify the object of something.
- void property_list_changed_notify ( )
Set property into the object.
- void set_block_signals ( bool enable )
If set to true, signal emission is blocked.
- void set_message_translation ( bool enable )
Define whether the object can translate strings (with calls to tr). Default is true.
Set a metadata into the object. Metadata is serialized. Metadata can be anything.
- void set_script ( Reference script )
Set a script into the object, scripts extend the object functionality.
Translate a message. Only works if message translation is enabled (which it is by default). See set_message_translation.